[mythtv-users] Is this hardware sufficient?

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Tue Dec 19 19:13:35 UTC 2006

> In my opinion based on what I've seen and heard, you will most likely
> need XVMC working on the nvidia card (jsut XV probably isn't enough).
> Without xvmc I'm betting that processor won't handle it.

I run on an AMD64 3200+, and I am able to play back 1080i and 720p without
XvMC.  I've got it scaled to 800x600 because that's what my projector's
resolution is, but I would think that would add to the requirements rather
than reduce them.

I do a lot of other stuff on the machine as well, and I occasionally get
artifacts when playing back HD.  I haven't tracked it down, but I suspect
that it's caused by apache or qmail doing something.

Given the choice at this point, I'd bump up the processor a bit just the
same - my system is 2 years old now though, so at the time it was a pretty
pricey jump.

Greg