[mythtv-users] (OT) Geforce 5200 PCI

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 20 04:18:45 UTC 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Nate Crosno wrote:

> I have an FX5200 PCI -- nothing special was needed to get it
> working.  I
> can play HD content with xine by using "-V xxmc", however, I cannot
> get
> HD to play through Myth with XVMC....infamous prebuffer pauses. I
> think
> I have tried every option out there and it all seems to play the same.
> Been meaning to make a spread sheet just to make sure I try every
> permutation, but have been dreading it.  For now, I watch HD content
> through xine or wait until it's transcoded down to DVD quality for
> space
> savings.  I have a combined FE/BE on a P4 3.2GHz, but it pegs the CPU
> when trying to watch full HD without XVMC. With XVMC in xine, the
> CPU is
> only 40% or less.  XVMC in Myth is "working" as far as I can tell, but
> the playback is no better and the CPU is still pegged. BTW, I am
> outputting via DVI at 1280x720.  I have an ATI HD Wonder and a
> PVR-150.
> Everything is getting transcoded to 720x480 MPEG4 (1.1G/hr).  I forget
> what the CPU usage is during playback of those files, but it is very
> low.

I don't know if it would help, but you might want to look at the
latency values for your PCI cards. Have a look at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency

The link to IBM's website at the bottom of that wiki page points to a
description of a problem with AGP vs. PCI video cards that was solved
by adjusting latency values.

Since you say HD playback works with xine latency is probably not
your problem, but it couldn't hurt to check it out. Certainly with
watching live TV you would have more buss contention than simply
playing a file, but it sounds like you are having problems with just
playback.