[mythtv-users] Steaming HDTV Performance.

Blair Preston bpreston at collabras.com
Thu Dec 21 05:52:30 UTC 2006

By definition, a full 1080i HD signal will absorb 19.2 Mbps of ethernet
bandwidth (actual results may vary ;). Most consumer grade Network Cards and

Switch hardware will forward  approximately 60% of bandwidth if there is
minimal node contention creating collisions.  Depending upon the nature of
other traffic on your network, you should easily get two frontends to
operate ( I do ) on a 100 Mbps ethernet backbone.

If you have or plan to have network based gaming, security monitoring,
network cameras or home automation on the net as well, you may find yourself
stressed (I do in some situations) and want to go to a 1000 Mbps backbone or
a more creative segmented or vlan'd network design (which was my solution).