[mythtv-users] Nvidia 6200 Composite Output Not Working

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 14:38:42 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Brad A. Roberson <n9nds at arrl.net> wrote:

> I am running a Nvidia 6200 video card on a MythDora 3.1 system.  The
> card works fine on the VGA monitor and composite output during boot.
> Once the system reaches the point where X starts and the Nvidia logo
> flashes on the screen the composite output shuts down.  Currently I have
> no way to test the DVI output to see if it is doing the same.
>
> I have tried go into the Nvidia configuration application and "turn on"
> the composite output (TV-0).  I set the resolution to 1024x768 or even
> 800x600.  I have tried twinview and separate X-servers, applied the
> changes, and got nothing from the composite output.  What am I doing
> wrong or what do I need to do?  Tomorrow I should have my PVR-150 card
> and have everything to finalize pulling in SDTV and satellite signals.
> I want to try and get this moved into place and replace the ReplayTv
> unit as soon as possible so I can stop paying for them.

Brad,

I run Nvidia 6200, 6600, and 6800 cards, and through trial-and-error found that
there are several key options in xorg.conf that must be set to match
the specific
6x00 card.

You didn't specify which release of the Nvidia driver you are using,
but the following
comments apply to 8774.

I had to use both of the following:

  Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
  Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

to get one of the Nvidia cards to work, whereas one of the other cards needed

  Option "TVOutFormat" "Composite"

One card was manufactured by ASUS, the other, by Gigabyte.

Maybe you can try different values in your xorg.conf and see if
something appears on the "TV-0" screen.

One other note- I use the dual screen set-up as described in
Appendix P of the README file that's part of the 8774 package.
There are several treads in the archive that describe how to get
dual screen up and running.

--
MM