[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 non-Recommendations

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 19:20:49 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> I have always been curious about folks with giant setups.  I have
> one HD tuner and on SD tuner and they are rarely on at the same
> time, and I've had one HD conflict in a couple of years....

Interestingly, in my experience, most people don't start out with a
'giant setup' they kind-of grow into it... I started with a single
160gig HD, one PVR-250, and an fx5200 all in the same box. As your
comfort with the setup grows you start discovering things that would
make it work better, smoother, faster.. Then you bring in HD and the
whole spec changes...

In my experience, no single drive I tested, IDE or SATA (didn't try
SCSI), 20g - 320g, was able to keep up with recording, playback, and
flagging of HD sources, at the same time, without noticable impact to
one of the three. I tried different "elevators" (deadline btw, works
best for me for smooth playback), different distros, cpus,
motherboards, ram, etc etc etc.

Another thing to keep in mind, touched on by others in this thread.
Most of us are not the only USER of Myth in our houses..  And some of
us had TIVO's before, so we (and our SO's) are used to how
slow/quick/features/etc. There's things we would tolerate being
computer literate that our SO's won't. Where I ended up was, at least
in part, driven by a need to keep the SO happy. And thanks to what I'm
running today, I've accomplished that.