[mythtv-users] nvidia 6200tc tearing and high xorg cpu usage seemingly fixed

Mark Chang mark.chang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 23:15:38 UTC 2006

Ever since my first "HDTV Success" post:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/236498#236498

during Thanksgiving, I have kept myself busy tweaking. My post was a
bit premature because I didn't know what real "tearing" was until I
got some serious HD viewing hours under my belt. Since then, I've been
suffering with tearing of the picture. But, thanks to this post:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/242086#242086

I am all happy now. Really. :)

I had been struggling with high xorg CPU usage when vertical sync was
turned on in nvidia-settings. So, I turned it off and resorted to RTC
syncing, which produced tearing.

I then added "UseEvents" "True" To my xorg.conf, turned on vertical
sync for xv in nvidia-settings, and voila, low xorg CPU usage, no
tearing, and just a beautiful, rock-steady HD picture with Bob
deinterlace on. mythfrontend now consumes between 40-70% CPU when
playing back HD streams, depending on bitrate and complexity.

NOW, I am happy. This thing is rocking.

So, for search fodder:
 Tearing without using a 5200-based nvidia card was a problem (I am
using a 6200TC).
 Added UseEvents with the 9629 driver and turned on sync and I am happy.

Mark

--
Mark L. Chang