[mythtv-users] 16x9

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Dec 25 06:44:45 UTC 2006

I've read a bunch of different postings and some Wiki information
surrounding displaying on a 16x9 television screen, but some of the
information seems to conflict.  Add to that a sprinkling of confusion,
and, well, I just don't get it.

Should I adjust my xorg.conf file to set the proper DisplaySize as
listed in
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XorgConfMonitorSectionForTV?  And
that wiki seems to have a little touch of the "black art" feel to it
with "it is advised to play with the value..."

Should I adjust the settings on my nVidia card to try to display at
1080i or 720p (one TV supports both, the other goes up to 720p) with the
black art of playing with modelines and such (the 1080i capable tv
(older big rear projection) only has component in, whereas the 720p
capable tv (LCD) has VGA in, too)?  With that, there's the fight of the
right modeline, overscan, tearing, etc..

And, if I step back.. is this really a two-step issue?  First get it to
display in 16x9 fashion at, say, 480i, then try to do additional steps
to bump the resolution up to 720p?

-Rich