[mythtv-users] mythbackend doesn't start

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 28 03:33:02 UTC 2006

On 27 Dec 2006, at 21:02, Zlatko V wrote:
>> See http://www.ss64.com/bash/period.html & http://
>> learnlinux.tsf.org.za/courses/build/shell-scripting/ch10s02.html for
>> explanations.
>
> I'm just a mythtv user and not a linux expert. I don't find any
> 'functions'
> for SuSE.

I think I gave those URLs because I hoped they'd help you understand
the shell script was doing. All the scripts in /etc/init.d/ are human-
readable script files, so my first step when one of them fails is to
read them and try to figure out what's going on. You may not find
them very comprehensible even after some months of practice (well, at
least, I didn't!!) but eventually things start to fall into place.

I think it might help if you read "Point 4" at <http://www.novell.com/
coolsolutions/feature/11256.html> and also the page <http://
openskills.info/
infobox.php?ID=1081> to understand ultimately WHY you are
experiencing this problem.

> SuSE isn't any of the unknown small distributions and such problems as
> /etc/init.d/functions should be solved in mythtv.

Yes, but it seems to me to be quite a common problem with Suse (and
with Suse rather than with MythTV).
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Fetc%2Finit.d%2Ffunctions+suse

If I were you I would, if necessary, read every page in the first 10
or 30 results to understand what is causing the problem and how to
resolve it.

> ...I have invested many hours and have tried with
> different Linux distributions ... and on every distribution I have
> had an other problem and it hasn't
> function.

Honestly, I am always pleased and surprised when something works
painlessly in Linux. Perhaps I'll get flamed now for giving Linux a
bad name, and in fact it is probably rarely as problematic as I fear,
and I am probably (now!) pleased and surprised often, but
nevertheless I am always prepared for problems to take lots of time &
work to resolve. Honestly, it is when I forget to be so prepared,
thinking "oh, it should be easy to print to an HP LaserJet printer
fitted with a Postscript chip" - that's when I get slapped!!

I always expect to have problems configuring something under Linux,
but I am rewarded with the knowledge that once something works it
will continue to do so forever.

$ uprecords -s -m 3
      #               Uptime |
System                                    Boot up
----------------------------
+-------------------------------------------------
      1   255 days, 21:54:14 | Linux 2.4.25             Mon Aug 15
20:05:36 2005
      2   155 days, 13:17:15 | Linux 2.4.25             Thu Mar 10
15:56:47 2005
      3   123 days, 17:11:24 | Linux 2.4.25             Fri Apr 28
18:35:54 2006
----------------------------
+-------------------------------------------------
->   5    87 days, 02:12:11 | Linux 2.4.25             Mon Oct  2
01:52:16 2006

I am shelled into 2 other systems right now with uptimes of 85 & 90
days, but these really are nothing to boast about by Unix standards;
my downtime is always from power failures & hardware upgrades, at least.

> I have chosed mythtv because I need server/client solution and
> recording.
> And I need just this and anything more.
>
> If I don't get the right answer for this problem I'll serch for other
> solution.
> Probably is the best way to take WindowsXP and vnc to see it on the
> remote
> client :-)

Ha! VNC is of course not suitable for playing video, but you might
find Windows Media Centre edition mostly adequate for your needs if
you are not prepared to put a LOT of time & commitment into learning
& understanding *nix.

I concur with Mr Vorstermans that switching distros is of little
benefit - reinstalling the entire system is a very Windows-centric
"answer". The lack of documentation sometimes makes it an
understandable answer for some more obscure Windows problems, but in
Linux you have the documentation to resolve every problem, as long as
you are persistent enough.

Stroller.