[mythtv-users] Choppy (and no) digital sound on M2NPV-VM

Bill White raygions at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 31 07:01:40 UTC 2006

--- Bill White <raygions at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Configuring the sound is the part of installing
> MythTV that makes me wince.  Its probably all in my
> head, but there you are.  I am currently installing
> Myth 0.20 FE/BE(primary) on an ASUS M2NPV-VM MB
> under FC5 (2.6.18-1.2257.fc5smp).  Everything is up
> and working as expected except for the digital
> sound.  I purchased the spdif connector for the MB
> and am using it to feed my (second hand)
> Harmon-Kardon DPR 1001 receiver.
>

> The Symptoms are:
> Using the test player in Soundcard Detection causes
> choppy sound to come thru the speakers.  I use
> soundcard detection because aplay does not seem to
> work.
>
> $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav
> aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such file or
> directory
>
> In MythTV I have the audio output set to ALSA:spdif.
>  The receivers registers a signal, but no sound
> comes from the speakers.
>
> I thought I would see if anyone had any advice
> before I began experimenting.
>
> Thanks,
> bw
>
> +++++this is my modprobe.conf
> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
> # sound configurations
> options disable_msi=1
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
> alias snd-card-1 snd-mpu401
> options snd-mpu401 index=1
> remove snd-mpu401 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 1
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-mpu401
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 position_fix=1 model=3stack
> # nvidia kernel module
> alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-8776
> alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-8776
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_i2c

it was the .asoundrc to some extent.  replacing it
with the .asoundrc on the HOWTO setup digital sound
page allowed aplay to function as well as Mythtv
sending out through ALSA:digital.  Of course anything
played through aplay is terribly choppy, and while the
shows recorded through myth have decent sound, the
avi's in the video folder are choppy and freeze with
in the first few frames.