[mythtv-users] MythTV and LVM

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 1 02:56:25 UTC 2006

Robert Tsai wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:54:39AM -0500, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>

>>I'm not sure what the motivator here is, but I haven't figure out a
>>way to spin down a drive in an LVM array.  Powering down an entire
>>PC for a month saved me a grand total of ~4 USD. I would suspect
>>powering down 1 drive might save you 3 dollars over the course of a
>>year.
>>

>Was this a scientific experiment, or just a month-to-month utility
>bill comparison?
>
>I received a Kill-A-Watt as a present and have been playing around
>with it for a little bit. It reports my system as drawing 80W at idle.
>At $0.18/kWH (as reported on my last few electricity bills), this
>comes out to :
>
>	80W * 24hrs/day * 30days/mo * 1kW/1000W * $0.18/kWh = $10/mo
>
>and that's 80W at idle.
>
>$10 barely covers lunch, but it's still more than double the $4 you
>cite. But then again, maybe electricity here (Boston, MA) costs 2x
>more than in other parts of the US (which I can easily believe).

Just had to satisfy your curiosity (and stir you up a bit while at it)...

 From my last electric bill, I'm paying about $0.105/kWH (in FL--the
land of cheap electricity ;).  When it was 0.08/kWH (before this whole
fuel cost rise thing), I saw an increase of $5 with the non-scientific
bill-to-bill method when I added a new system (which tends to agree with
your calculations), but all my machines run BOINC/SETI all the time (so
never at idle) and 7/10 of them (including the one I added for the test
month) without any display (keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor).

Mike