[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.18.1 w/ PVR-150MCE Channel change SOUND issue.

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Wed Feb 1 17:15:17 UTC 2006

I built this FC4/MythTV box 3 days ago and everything works great, it
even changes (both audio and video) channels correctly (using the
directv.pl and a serial cable I made) however, for some reason EVERYTIME
I first startup MythTV the sound is very distorted (hi-pitched), but I
can still make out what they are saying; it's not static, just
distorted. When I change the channel the problem MAY go away, but not
always, and it can happen on any channel at any time. Sometimes if I
simply change the channel to the same channel (from channel 17 to
channel 17 using the directv.pl) the audio will clear up, but not
always. Now, NO MATTER WHAT CHANNEL I'M ON, if I do a 'ivtvctl -q 1' the
audio will clear-up and sound normal again, but ONLY while I'm watching
that channel... So if I am watching a channel with bad audio and I run
'ivtvctl -q 1' the audio sounds great, until I change the channel, then
it could very well revert back to the bad audio quality.

This is a big problem because when I set MythTV to record a show, it
kicks into the distorted audio quality everytime so my recordings all
suck ass.

There are no errors thrown to any of my logs; dmesg shows nothing, the
mythdb.log shows nothing, and var/logs/messages shows nothing out of the
ordinary. I'm stumped here. I have tried so many things and read so many
posts on different sites that I think I could flawlessly build MythTV on
any flavor of linux imaginable.

I'm on ivtv 0.4.2. Note that I am having no video problems at all.

Josh

ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv:  version 0.4.2 (tagged release) loading
ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-4.0
ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between
ivtv:  the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines, along with
ivtv:  any module options, when mailing the ivtv-users mailinglist.
ivtv0: Autodetected WinTV PVR 150 card (cx23416 based)
tveeprom: ivtv version
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=tveeprom, addr=50]
tuner (ivtv): chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=(tuner unset), addr=61]
cx25840 1-0044: ivtv driver
cx25840 1-0044: cx25843-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=cx25840, addr=44]
wm8775 1-001b: ivtv driver
wm8775 1-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=wm8775, addr=1b]
ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02040024
ivtv0 warning: Encoder Firmware can be buggy, use version 0x02040011 or 0x020500 32.
ivtv0: Allocate DMA encoder MPEG stream: 128 x 32768 buffers (4096KB total)
ivtv0: Allocate DMA encoder YUV stream: 194 x 10800 buffers (2048KB total)
ivtv0: Allocate DMA encoder VBI stream: 120 x 17472 buffers (2048KB total)
ivtv0: Allocate DMA encoder PCM audio stream: 455 x 4608 buffers (2048KB total)
tuner: type set to 50 (TCL 2002N) by ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv0: Initialized WinTV PVR 150, card #0
ivtv:  ====================  END INIT IVTV  ====================

The relivant lines in my modprobe.conf file
# ivtv (PVR-150MCE)
alias char-major-81 ivtv
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv