[mythtv-users] X taking up 98% of CPU on frontend only machine

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 20:08:21 UTC 2006

Hi,

I hope that this isn't a question that has been answered but I have been
monitoring for a while and I don't think this has come up...

I run a backend and frontend on one PC and a further frontend on a separate
PC...

All is well on the backend/frontend machine, however, all isn't well on the
frontend only machine.

On this machine I have only been able to get a visible picture on it once,
after that all I get is a few seconds of audio, the screen seems to be
switching so that it can display the video, but I get nothing.

The data (as shown via the ethernet switch, stops being sent), I can't get out
of the current mode on mythtv, I can't get to a terminal (CRTL/ALT F1), I can
log in via ssh and display "top", where I see X is taking nearly 100% of the
CPU...

I haven't changed software between the times it was working (displaying a
picture) and now...

I am lost, does anyone have an idea as to what could have changed ???

I'm using RPM versions of 18.1 on both machines...

There might be a clue here, in that the interface on the separate frontend is
very slow when I compare it to the combined frontend/backend machine.

Any help appreciated...

Steve