[mythtv-users] X taking up 98% of CPU on frontend only machine

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 21:09:22 UTC 2006

Hi Chad...

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2006 20:18, Chad wrote:
> On 2/1/06, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > There might be a clue here, in that the interface on the separate
> > > frontend is very slow when I compare it to the combined
> > > frontend/backend machine.
> >
> > Perhaps you're not using XVMC on the f/e machine - that can chew up
> > CPU big time. I'm not sure of the best way to check if you're using
> > XVMC but one way is to use VNC to see the X-Window from another PC. If
> > you can see the playback from the PC running the VNC client then
> > you're not using XVMC. If you see a blank blue screen on playback then
> > you are.
> >
> > I'm sure there are easier ways.
>
> I don't know that that is a definitive test, I've seen blue screens
> without XvMC before.
>
> I look in the frontend log.  Start Mythfrontend from a terminal
> window, and watch it's output.  When you start watching a show, it
> will report if it's using XvMC or if it can't and why.

Ok I ran mythtv with the --geometry option and this is the output copied by
hand.....

mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceeding messages
Joystick disabled
Registering internal as a media playback plugin
removing stale cache dir:
All programs
Connecting to backend server
using protocol version 15
new db connection, total:2
Disable DPMS
opening audio device '/dev/dsp'
opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'
Using XV port 57
Changing from none to watchingprerecorded
new db connection, total: 3
realtime priority would require SUID as root

Does that help any ????

> Also, what hardware is your remote frontend on?  Is this an mpeg2 or
> mpeg4 file, and is it HD or not?

It's got an NVIDIA card in it...and it's an mpg2, ie it's a recorded show from
an hauppauge 150, and not HD...