[mythtv-users] Cable Box and PVR-350 Question

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Feb 1 22:57:15 UTC 2006

cweisiger at i-55.com wrote:
> Im in the process of building a mythTV box and have been getting rather
> great information...I do have one other question..
>
> I am wanting the capability of the pvr-500 but i have
> been reading about the problems about it with myth..

I have zero problems with my PVR-500 and Myth.
> So i was thinking of getting 2 pvr-350's instead...

Bad idea.  The PVR-350 has hardware decoding.  You don't need two
decoder cards (you can only drive one TV).  Better to get the 500
> which of course im sure would be able to accomplish recording
> and viewing another channel at the same time..
>
> How would i record channels higher the the 125 channel limit
> of the cards...being the reason i have the cable box(motorola) is of
> course for your premium channels.

If you require a cable box for various channels, you need to use the
composite input on the tuner and control the cable box with an IR
blaster or other method (serial).  If your Motorola box has firewire,
that is an option as well.
> would i need to get a pvr-350 and a regular video capture card
> or would i need to still get 2 pvr-350's. what i was thinking
> was if i got 1 pvr-350 and one regular capture card i would
> split my cable signal and hook up one cable line straight
> to my pvr-350 and my cable box to my regular video capture card.

You only need the PVR-350 if you plan to use it to drive your TV.  If
you're just looking at capture, get the PVR-150 or 500.