[mythtv-users] USB Drive question

matt stirfrey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 05:14:37 UTC 2006

Ok, Let me start out by saying that I don't have any direct experience
with this, but from what I've read I think you'll be better off with
NFS. The USB bus tends to be unstable on many systems when dealing with
large files (which I have experienced) and is more CPU intensive. USB
uses your CPU more than other transfer methods. A quick search on usb
v.s. firewire will give you some good articles if your interested.

Most of the other posts I've read on the myth list when this has come up
have gone something like, "yeah it worked in the end but was painful to
make stable" and\or "USB should be fine but NFS is better". Something
else to consider is that if you are hooking this up to your front end
there will be a lot of extra noise. If you use a server you bury it in
the basement or closet where you can't hear it.

Matt