[mythtv-users] USB Drive question

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Feb 2 05:18:21 UTC 2006

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
> I've just lucked into 4 250gb usb drives.  Is this ok to use for
> livetv and recordings?  I'm planning to do xfs and either
> symlinking or some other method.  Is this ok, or should
> I break out my old server and set these ide drives up
> as internal and nfs mount them over to the
> mythbackend?

My concern would simply be that in order to use 4 250gb drives
effectively, you need to use LVM.  Putting removable media in an LVM
setup is probably a bad idea.  If that disk goes offline for any reason,
your LVM partition is hosed.  USB drives can work great for Video,
Music, or even Images data, but I would never use it for my recording
partition or anything LVM related.

Kevin