[mythtv-users] MythTV how-to and MacOS X build

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:02:43 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> FC4 can use apt, yum, and smart for managing packages.  Never had a
> problem with that.

FC4 doesn't come with a nice package manager like Ubuntu, where you can see
a little doc on the package, the dependencies, the files that are going to
be modified/installed etc...
It also lack the nice search engine ...

smart isn't a very intuitive program when you have to configure it and there
are a few dozen different repository format. I've had a nasty experience
with Smart. Was trying to install a package with yum and it failed to
install due to a problem with dependencies (was relying on a library that
wasn't installed). I thought I would give smart a try. It did manage to
resolve the dependencies on the library. However, it did so by removing the
culprit library *AND* all other packages depending on it, didn't even ask me
anything. It deleted rather important packages, anyway cut story short, I
had to re-install FC4.

JY