[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Knopmyth on USB drive

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 07:08:08 UTC 2006

Bryan Halter wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>>Bryan Halter wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking to make a mostly diskless frontend where knopmyth would boot
>>>off of a USB key then NFS mount myth's ~ which would be shared between
>>>multiple machines.  I realize knopmyth can run in frontend mode directly
>>>from a CD,  How do I copy the boot sector from the CD to the USB key?
>>>Is there a better way to do this?
>>
>>I was tinkering with a similar idea of having the /boot partition on a
>>thumb drive and the rest on NFS mounts as a kind of poor / lazy mans
>>network boot.
>>
>>All my computers are being shipped at the moment so I can’t test the
>>theory at the moment.
>>
>>Have a look at
>>http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-Root.html
>>and
>>http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.html
>>
>>good luck and let us know how it goes.
>>
> Thanks Bob,

No worries

> On second though I've been looking at 2.5" hard drives which are mostly
> silent, and offer greater throughput than flash for a much better price
> and allow a full install so I think I'm going to go that route instead.

It’ll be easer certainly but not cheaper as with a net boot solution you
can probably use existing harddrives and even if you do have /boot on a
flash disk of some sort, it probably only needs to be 8 or 16 Mb which
you may well find down the back of the couch.

I just found a 32Mb CF card that probably came free with my camera 3
years ago, but since I also bought a 1Gb card at the same time (man that
was expensive, but I don’t regret it) I never used it and forgot all
about it.