[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Knopmyth on USB drive

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:19:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 01:16 -0500, Bryan Halter wrote:

> Thanks Bob,
>
> On second though I've been looking at 2.5" hard drives which are
> mostly silent, and offer greater throughput than flash for a much
> better price and allow a full install so I think I'm going to go that
> route instead.

For what its worth, netboot really wasn't very difficult to set up.  I
have a wrt54g, and just had to modify what DHCP was handing out, so that
machines that recognized the netboot knew to contact my backend for the
kernel.

>From there it was setting of tftpd to hand out kernel images and compile
what was needed for various boxes during bootup.  Most of the filesystem
is shared with the backend (/home /bin /usr /sbin).
Each netboot I give its own /var, /etc, and /lib.

I just dumped my old CPU fan today for a zalman "flower heatsink" and
fan mounted above it.  The box is near silent now from 1 meter away.
I'm very happy overall with my setup now.