[mythtv-users] HDTV component output using nVidia 6200 config

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Feb 2 20:14:45 UTC 2006

Please properly indent when quoting people...

On Thursday 02 February 2006 11:08, Steve Skarda wrote:
> > I got a Leadtek A6200 with component video output dongle for
> > Christmas and I'm just getting around to installing it. I want to
> > connect it to my Toshiba 30HF83 via component because I have my
> > comcast 6412 dvr connected to the DVI. I want going to start simple
> > with just 480p. I use two prv-250's capturing at 640x480 but hope to
> > get firewire capture working at least for SD and maybe HD if nvidia
> > fixes its issues with vblank syncing.
>
> > 1. What driver version do you recommend? Currently running 8178
> > with my old GeForce 440 MX s-video out.
>
> I use 7676.  I had problems with Vsync pegging my cpu to 100% with newer
> versions.   There are several other posts about from people that have the
> same problem but I am not sure it affects everyone.  8178 may work for you.

8178 blows chunks if you want to use opengl vsync, 7676 for me too.

> > 2. Do I need a modeline for 480p or does this card only need to know
> > "TVStandard" "HD480p" and "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"?
>
> I have 6600.   I use "TVFormat" "HD480i"  and it works without modelines
> for my television.

Yup, shouldn't need a mode line for the component dongle.

> I haven't figured out how to get HD1080i to work but I
> just posted another message to see if someone else has an answer to that.
>
> "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT" is not a valid format.  The NVidia readme only
> lists Svideo and Composite.   I did try "Component" for fun and Xorg log
> kicked out an error saying that it was not a valid format.   Currently, I
> do not have any TVOutFormat line in my Xorg and component out works (as
> long as my TV is the only thing connected to the card).   I believe you
> only need the TVFormat command if the card isn't sensing the TV connection
> and you need to force it to a certain format.

Correct.

> > 3 Will I get black bars on the sides since I'm capturing at 640x480
> > instead of 720x480?
>
> I can't answer this one.

No black bars. Myth is like a balding middle-aged man -- it will
compensate. :)

> > 4. Do I need to change anything in mythtv settings regarding
> > separate resolutions (the xrandr stuff)?
>
> I am not doing anything with this but I will be interested to see if anyone
> else responds differently.

I used to xrandr w/my old set, which had 1080i as its best video format
option, but interlaced modes look crappy in the ui. I drove w/a progressive
mode (540p) for the UI, then xrandr'd to 1080i for HDTV playback. My current
set takes 1080p, so I just run in that mode all the time.

> > 5. Can my Athlon XP 2500+ playback HD with XvMC and a driver that
> > works with vblank syncing?
>
> I can't answer this one.

Me neither, at least not definitively. Getting smooth HD playback is
occasionally a black art. People with slower systems have been able to
achieve smooth playback, while folks that seemingly have more than enough
power to spare can't manage for some reason or another.

> > 6 Off topic: Is a 2.40A GHz P4 prescott 533 MHz FSB 1MB L2 fast
> > enough for HD playback? Its a prescott but does not have hyper
> > threading. I have a spare one here and didn't know if it was worth
> > the expense to build up or just start fresh with a new Athlon 64.
>
> I can't answer this one.  I use a 3.2 Ghz Intel w/HT.

A 3GHz system is generally recommended, though I've *almost* managed smooth
playback on an Athlon XP 1800 in the past (720p was fine, 1080i hiccupped
frequently). Very much ymmv, in my experience. I will say that with current
svn, processor usage is way down on my A64 3500 (~60% utilization for 1080i
w/a deint filter).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com