[mythtv-users] OpenGL compile error on x64 w/ nVidia 7676

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Feb 2 23:27:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 4:17 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > /usr/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glapi.o): relocation
> > R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making
> > a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [libmythtv-0.19.so.0.19.0] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/DataDrive/Files/SVN/MythTV/8843/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
> >
> > anyone have an idea?
>
> Only that I had the same problem. There was a bug filed with Gentoo
> about this and the consensus was that 7676 simply will not compile
> against recent kernels. I'm not sure if this is only an issue with
> the 64-bit architecture but at least some information seems to
> point in that direction.
>
> The nVidia drivers seem to generate a lot of very inconsistent
> results in a lot of ways, for every success story I seem to find
> another user who failed with what appeared to be the same setup.
>
> I guess nVidia may have problems, but it seems to be the best we've
> got at this point. I tried using a PVR-350 but was not very
> impressed, maybe my setup was bad as other have raved about them,
> but they won't do HDTV so the point is academic.

I started out with a lot of hope, but after several weeks I have tried
so many combinations of nVidia drivers, kernels, compile options,
xorg.conf settings, but still I can't get it perfect. Currently,
everything is running well except an annoying black & white, blinky,
On Screen Display.  I'm giving up on nVidia and going back to ATI,
which has been flawless for me on several other Myth systems I've
built. If you have at least a P4 2.8, and your sick of the nVidia
problems, ATI is your answer. A fanless 9600 can be found for around
$60.