[mythtv-users] Mythtv compilation problems on FC4

Malcolm Hill mjhill at netspace.net.au
Fri Feb 3 08:00:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 22:20 +1100, Malcolm Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 07:24 +1100, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > > I called it 0.18.2 because on http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ its called the
> > > 'stable 0.18.2 branch'.  I guess you are correct that its the 0-18-fixes
> > > branch.

> > > It should be the 0-18-fixes branch as I went here when 0.18.1 wouldn't
> > > compile on FC4 with gcc 4.x last time.
> > >
> > > To make absolutely sure, I've just checked out a clean copy of the
> > > 0-18-fixes branch with "svn co
> > > http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-18-fixes/mythtv", used
> > > "./configure  --enable-dvb
> > > --dvb-path=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4-i686/include
> > > --enable-lirc" as my configure string, and started a make (after a qmake
> > > mythtv.pro of course).  Same problem again.  This worked absolutely fine
> > > on FC4 last year.  I just checked my config.log, and the successful make
> > > was in July last year.
> >
> > Take a look at the output of './configure --help':
> >
> >   --enable-dvb             enable DVB support (must supply header directory)
> >   --dvb-path=HDRLOC        location of directory containing
> >                            'linux/dvb/frontend.h', not the
> >                            directory with frontend.h
> > [/usr/src/linux-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4/include]
> >
> > Seems to indicate giving a path into the kernel source like that doesn't work,
> > as it somehow pulls in other kernel headers to the build that override glibc
> > headers. Dunno if you can make that include path more specific for dvb
> > components only, or if building w/an external dvb source tarball is best
> > (which is what the ATrpms packages do).
> >
> > The second error, I'm not sure what's going on. I thought I'd fixed all of
> > those problems in the 0.18 branch. One sec while I try a build... Yup, just
> > built fine. Could be a difference caused by your using the latest dvb source
> > versus my using the older dvb snap Axel is currently using in the ATrpms
> > packages, seeing as how scanwizard is dvb-specific. I dunno though.
> >

> Its clear that it's pulling in kernel headers instead of glibc headers -
> and looking at the sequence of includes, I'm guessing that it must
> always have done this - and its just now (perhaps with a recent gcc
> update) that g++ is complaining about it.
>
> As a test, I built a brand new FC4 system in a vmware machine, updated
> it, checked out the 0.18-fixes branch, and tried compiling.  Failed.
> Perhaps what I should do is try it before updating...  Maybe tomorrow.

Well thats confirmed.  A new FC4 install off a DVD with 2.6.11-1.1369
and gcc 4.0.0-8, and mythtv 0.18-fixes compiles fine when dvb-path
points into the kernel headers.

After upgrading it to current (versions posted previously), it no longer
compiles.

Not much of a problem for me now with Axel's package available - but
will be an issue for anyone needing to compile for some reason.