[mythtv-users] command line Myth

Vincent Yau v_yau2 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:36:51 UTC 2006

Ok. so maybe I should explain why I posted my original question.
Sorry if I was not clear.
Nick is right.  I would like to control mythbackend from command
line, mainly to schedule program.  I can do it over a socket
connection and that is fine too.
So as Nick puts it, something like:
    record --channel 1 --start 200602071300 --length 120 --name "Battlestar
Galactica" --options "do_it_every_week"

My motivation?  It is a weird one but it works for my situation.

I have a linux box, and using an older rev. of a bttv based card.
I use Myth to record TV and it works GREAT.  I also uses VideoLan (VLC)
to stream live TV and recordings onto my network.
However, I discovered that when streaming live TV,  the whole
TV picture would shift about 1/4 of the screen upwards and also
flickers quite a bit.  The problem would go away, as weird as it may seem,
if I use Myth to record anyting for even just 1 minute.  It would
get back a perfect quality live TV screen on my VLC stream.
I suspect since VLC uses ffmpeg, it is a ffmpeg problem.  I could
not, however, figure out what is going wrong.  I did tried
last year on using ffmpeg alone to do capture
and had problems then.

So my solution is to record a one minute show using Myth and my live
TV stream will fix itself back to normal.  And for obvious reasons,
I would like to automate this and hence why I asked
for a command line interface for Myth to schedule recordings.

Thanks for all the  great input.

--vincent