[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Fri Feb 3 15:58:57 UTC 2006

>- atscscan found 337 entries and so far I can lock onto everyone I've tried with
>azap but I can't get mplayer to play any of them.  I've only tried about a half
>dozen so I may just be unlucky but is it normal to be able to lock onto a
>channel but not play it (it says it can't find a video stream)?  I downloaded
>and compiled the latest version of mplayer but still no luck.

This is normal.  Most of the channels you get will be encrypted, meaning
that a signal is being transmitted at that frequency (so azap does lock
on it), but it's encoded in a way that only the cable company's tuner
boxes can decrypt.  You should at least be able to find your broadcast
channels (NBC, CBS, FOX,...) coming in clearly over the cable and if
you're lucky a few others.  You'll probably also get a bunch of music
channels that aren't encrypted but mplayer and mythtv don't handle these
well (I'm guessing because they only contain a few frames of video for
each song).
I wrote a very very crude bash script that calls player to determine if
a channel is encrypted or not.  I hesitate to post I'm not a programmer
and it'll need to be modified to fit each computer it runs on.  Let me
know if you really want it though.

>- atscscan didn't reveal channel names for any of the 337 channels.  I take it
>this is info that my cable company isn't sending.  If I call my cable provider
>what additional field of info should I ask them to transmit so that I can get
>the channel names?  Time Warner Cable will probably just laugh at me when I ask
>but it can't hurt to try :)

I didn't get channel names either.  I went ahead and manually put them
in which is not too amusing.