[mythtv-users] OpenGL compile error on x64 w/ nVidia 7676

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:48:15 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, James Dastrup <jc at dastrup.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 4:17 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > /usr/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glapi.o): relocation
> > > R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making
> > > a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > make[2]: *** [libmythtv-0.19.so.0.19.0] Error 1
> > > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > > `/DataDrive/Files/SVN/MythTV/8843/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
> > >
> > > anyone have an idea?
> >
> > Only that I had the same problem. There was a bug filed with Gentoo
> > about this and the consensus was that 7676 simply will not compile
> > against recent kernels. I'm not sure if this is only an issue with
> > the 64-bit architecture but at least some information seems to
> > point in that direction.
> >
> > The nVidia drivers seem to generate a lot of very inconsistent
> > results in a lot of ways, for every success story I seem to find
> > another user who failed with what appeared to be the same setup.
> >
> > I guess nVidia may have problems, but it seems to be the best we've
> > got at this point. I tried using a PVR-350 but was not very
> > impressed, maybe my setup was bad as other have raved about them,
> > but they won't do HDTV so the point is academic.
> >

> I started out with a lot of hope, but after several weeks I have tried
> so many combinations of nVidia drivers, kernels, compile options,
> xorg.conf settings, but still I can't get it perfect. Currently,
> everything is running well except an annoying black & white, blinky,
> On Screen Display.  I'm giving up on nVidia and going back to ATI,
> which has been flawless for me on several other Myth systems I've
> built. If you have at least a P4 2.8, and your sick of the nVidia
> problems, ATI is your answer. A fanless 9600 can be found for around
> $60.

any pink bar issues with the 9600 at 1080i? I need to buy a new card
anyway since mine is too old to properly handle HD (I get tearing). I
don't need XvMC, though it would be nice to have if it works properly.
If the 9600's don't have the pink bar issue I may get one and a fx5200
and try both out.

--
Steve