[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:00:51 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Dylan R. Semler <dsemler at macalester.edu> wrote:
> Daniel Walton wrote:
> >>>

> >>This is normal.  Most of the channels you get will be encrypted, meaning
> >>that a signal is being transmitted at that frequency (so azap does lock
> >>on it), but it's encoded in a way that only the cable company's tuner
> >>boxes can decrypt.  You should at least be able to find your broadcast
> >>channels (NBC, CBS, FOX,...) coming in clearly over the cable and if
> >>you're lucky a few others.  You'll probably also get a bunch of music
> >>channels that aren't encrypted but mplayer and mythtv don't handle these
> >>well (I'm guessing because they only contain a few frames of video for
> >>each song).
> >>I wrote a very very crude bash script that calls player to determine if
> >>a channel is encrypted or not.  I hesitate to post I'm not a programmer
> >>and it'll need to be modified to fit each computer it runs on.  Let me
> >>know if you really want it though.
> >>

> >Please do, tuning 337 by hand will take me a while :)  I wrote a quick script to
> >convert my channels.conf file from:
> >
> >[0002]:549000000:QAM_256:18:16:2
> >[0003]:549000000:QAM_256:20:21:3
> >[0004]:549000000:QAM_256:25:26:4
> >[0005]:549000000:QAM_256:28:29:5

> >ch500:549000000:QAM_256:18:16:2
> >ch501:549000000:QAM_256:20:21:3
> >ch502:549000000:QAM_256:25:26:4
> >ch503:549000000:QAM_256:28:29:5
> >
> >that way I could do "azap -r ch500".  Maybe I can combine our scripts and post
> >the end result to the wiki.
> >
> >Daniel
> >

> Alright, I've attached the script.  It starts off by running atscscan
> and creating a channels.conf in the ~/.azap directory so make sure that
> the ~/.azap folder exists.  It then renames the [000#] entries at the
> beginning of each line in channels.conf to try###, (similar to what you
> have done).  Unfortunately you renamed yours to ch### which will break
> the part of the script that checks the channels with mplayer, as it
> assumes the channel names are of the try### format.  To make things
> easier for you I would suggest starting over with this script.  If you
> want though, you can comment out the part where it scans and rename your
> channels.conf file to fit my convention.  Anyways, when it's all done
> you should have a channels.conf file with only valid channels.  Oh, and
> so you don't get confused, it renames the successful try### in order so
> you don't have to jump from say try3 to try35 or something like that.
> Maybe that just added to your confusion.
>
> I've commented out the last section that automatically adjusts the mysql
> database because it doesn't seem to be consistent with what everyone
> else is saying needs to be done.  I've found that one can have fully
> populated program information about the dvb channels found from this
> scan by simply editing the channels table (no need to touch the
> dtv_multiplex table).  The only hitch is after the channels found by
> this script are added to the table, you must adjust the mplexid, name,
> [...]

nice, I'll look over it later and see if I can make it more
"universal".  Also, someone opened a trac ticket recently to fix the
channels.conf import in mythtv-setup, so that along with what we can
develop this script into may be all thats needed until the internal
channel scanning gets fixed.

--
Steve