[mythtv-users] Via Epia sp and hdtv

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Fri Feb 3 20:58:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, February 3, 2006 21:39, Shane said:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:37:00PM -0700, James Dastrup wrote:
>> I don't have experience with the Via Epia, although I haven't heard
>> anything _good_ about them with HDTV playback. Any particular reason
>> you want it fanless? If noise is your concern, you can get a
>> nearly-quiet machine going with a diskless front-end, upgraded CPU
>> fan with voltage reducer, and a quiet power supply. I have a P4 3.0
>> frontend that you almost have to put your ear on the case before you
>> even know it's on.
>
> Thanks for the info.  I haven't comitted to the Epia at
> this point but yeah it's for the silence.  There are cases
> which can fit the sp 1.3ghz board with a heatpipe and
> external power supply.  I planned on going diskless and pxe
> booting the thing from the big server in the other room.
> That and these mini-itx case dimensions will fit our stereo
> cabinet.
>
> Are there any other system designs which are more powerful
> that can run silent anyone is aware of.  Though I'm sure
> the near-silent systems are quiet, they can usually be
> heard if listening carefully in my experience.
>
> Best,
> Shane

One thing to keep in mind is that idle machines produce little heat, and
with variable fans that means very low RPMs, and thus nearly no noise.
Only when they get load will they heat up. Usually there will be more
foreground sound in such cases  ;-)

Even my home theatre system has a cooling fan that kicks in at very low
RPMs as soon as it is turned on, and which changes RPMs based on
temperature. Thing is, the temp only rises when the system uses a lot of
power. That only happens when the Volume is turned up, wich *amply*
overpowers the sound of the fan...

The same *should* be true for a well built media computer...

--
Francesco Peeters
----