[mythtv-users] installing boot drive need suggestions to get recordings from lvm group to new drive

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Sat Feb 4 07:15:45 UTC 2006

I have one 120 GB drive with /boot, /,  swap and a lvm volume group
for /home that spans a second 120 GB drive with all partitions using
ext3.  I just bought a 400 GB drive that I want to move everything on
to.  I want to use the same partition scheme: /boot and  / using
ext3, swap and a lvm for /home using jfs.

/dev/hda3              5036316   4125580    654904  87% /
/dev/hda1               295564     22456    257848   9% /boot
/dev/mapper/Volume00-LogVol00
                      224079412 214764708    208644 100% /home

The system started as RH9 and was upgraded to FC3. I'm going to do a
fresh install of FC4 to get the new partition and filesystem scheme.
I'll need to extract the database using the instructions in the
mythtv docs.  But what is the best way to get the recordings from the
old lvm volume group for /home?

Do I need a intermediate drive to connect to the current fc3 system
and copy /home to a standard ext3 partition that I can then mount to
the new fc4 system and copy from?

or

Do I follow the LVM Howto recipe for "Moving a volume group to
another system?  Then copy the recordings.  I don't want to keep
these two 120 GB drives in the system.  I plan to put them in
firewire cases and use the as backup drives for my powerbook and ibook.

http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/x972.html

Suggestions to make this process less painful would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Vinton