[mythtv-users] installing boot drive need suggestions to getrecordings from lvm group to new drive

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Feb 4 12:58:56 UTC 2006

> I have one 120 GB drive with /boot, /,  swap and a lvm volume group
> for /home that spans a second 120 GB drive with all partitions using
> ext3.  I just bought a 400 GB drive that I want to move
> everything on
> to.  I want to use the same partition scheme: /boot and  / using
> ext3, swap and a lvm for /home using jfs.
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda3              5036316   4125580    654904  87% /
> /dev/hda1               295564     22456    257848   9% /boot
> /dev/mapper/Volume00-LogVol00
>                       224079412 214764708    208644 100% /home
>
> The system started as RH9 and was upgraded to FC3. I'm going to do a
> fresh install of FC4 to get the new partition and filesystem scheme.
> I'll need to extract the database using the instructions in the
> mythtv docs.  But what is the best way to get the recordings
> from the
> old lvm volume group for /home?
>
> Do I need a intermediate drive to connect to the current fc3 system
> and copy /home to a standard ext3 partition that I can then mount to
> the new fc4 system and copy from?
>
> or
>
> Do I follow the LVM Howto recipe for "Moving a volume group to
> another system?  Then copy the recordings.  I don't want to keep
> these two 120 GB drives in the system.  I plan to put them in
> firewire cases and use the as backup drives for my powerbook
> and ibook.

My suggestion is to remove/disconnect the old drives. Install the new drive
and set up your OS the way you want including your new directory structure
for recordings. Once its the way you want, shut down and reconnect the
system in the old config installing the new drive as a secondary drive (use
the cd/dvd drive spot if you need a cable spot). Mount the new drive and
then just copy the files from one loc to the other. Simple and usually
painless except for setting up the new drive lvm on your old system.