[mythtv-users] Moving an install to a different motherboard...

Darren Black lists.drdaz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 16:34:34 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I just managed to find and purchase a socket 939 Sempron CPU (3400+) so I
have gone ahead and bought a load of new gear to house this little monster.
This new sysytem will replace my current FE/BE setup which is an SFF system
using an nForce2 class motherboard with IGP and a Barton XP 2600+.

I figure that since I'm gonna be blowing an awful lot of time on physically
building the system into my tasty new Silverstone lc17 cabinet, I'd like to
avoid having to do a full software reinstall for the time being, so my
question is how big of an issue will simply moving my harddisks to the new
motherboard present? Will Linux be able to boot? I suspect that Linux isn't
quite as lame as Wintendo in that regard, but would like to know what to
expect. I realise that I should gain substantial performance by moving to a
proper 64bit environment and I plan to do so when I have a spare day on my
hands.

Also, I was wondering how stable myth and the various components are under
x86_64... I recall reading that there were various sources of instability
for 64bit installs a while back (both from myth and the ivtv drivers). Have
these problems cleared up?

FWIW the motherboard I have purchased is an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. If anybody
here has noteworthy experiences with it I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance,
/drdaz