[mythtv-users] Mysql Error 2002

Matt Smith quaff at clippersoft.net
Sat Feb 4 17:52:12 UTC 2006

On 04/02/06, Matt Smith <quaff at clippersoft.net> wrote:

> > I came home today to see my mythtv machine sitting at the initial setup
> > screen.  This is an existing installation that hasn't been updated to
> > new releases in a month or so.  I exited the setup and ran mythfrontend
> > in the terminal.
> >
> > The error it outputed ...
> >
> > ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'
> >
> > I rebooted the machine to no avail.  I'm quite concerned that I lost the
> > mythconverg database. I've searched the web, but most are dealing with
> > new installs, not existing ones.

i) is mysqld running?
ii) can you log in to mysql and use the mythconverg database?
iii) has your hostname changed? check your ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file
and confirm the settings are correct.

Nick

The mysqld.sock does not exist (the directory does as is permissioned to
mysql-mysql, but the file does not exist).

When I run /etc/init.d/mysql
it stops and starts just fine (shows 'ok') (also starts fine on boot - shows
'ok').

With the ps, it shows that mysql is running.

When I try
to do any mysql work, it comes back with the same 2002 error.

I did try
to run 'mysqld_safe' (and 'mysqld' directly) under root, and that starts
properly and I can connect to the database as root - The 'mythtv' will have no
access when I do this, even though according to phpmyadmin, the 'mythtv' account
has all the proper permissions as it always had.

Of course, even after
running 'mysqld_safe' or 'mysqld' directly, on the next reboot I'm back to the
2002 error.

Since I can start 'mysqld' directly under root - is this
somehow a permissions issue, even though it shows

drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql
mysql 4096 Feb 4 07:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Feb 3 21:31 ..

-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 5 Feb 4 07:35 mysqld.pid
srwxrwxrwx 1 mysql
mysql 0 Feb 4 07:35 mysqld.sock

...for the /var/run/mysqld directory
when I run 'mysqld' directly under root? Could it be permissions somewhere else?

Hostname is still localhost and the mysql.txt file hasn't changed and is correct.

Very odd problem, I know...

Thanks for any help...