[mythtv-users] HDTV Hardware Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 4 19:53:03 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:

>On 2/2/06, Tony Enriquez <t_enriquez at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>My cable company only offers the 6412.  According to
>>the website they also use HDCP (High-bandwidth digital
>>content protection).  Is this the same as 5C?
>>

>no, HDCP is for DVI connection, 5C is similar in concept but for
>firewire. Using the 6412 should be fine, just don't set up any
>recordings, etc. The way the firewire connection works is that it
>mimics the output to the tv except it just sends the mpeg stream. This
>means Myth needs to be able to control the 6412 so that when it tunes
>channels, etc. the 6412 is sending out the channel to the tv and
>firewire. I don't know how the 6412 normally behaves or if the dual
>tuner nature will screw anything up.

More precisely, 5C = "5 Corporations" and the firewire connection is
using DTCP (Digital Transmission Content Protection).

Currently, there are 4 DRM technologies included in a set often referred
to as "5C" for the 5 corporations that created them: Hitachi, Intel,
Matsushita, Sony, and Toshiba (notice, also, how many of the "good
guys"--electronics manufacturers--and how few of the Hollywood "bad
guys"--content producers--are in the 5C).  The DRM technologies include
    - DTCP (Digital Transmission Content Protection) for secure
transmission of compressed content over electrical connections (i.e.
between components or even computers using, for example, firewire);
    - HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) for secure
transmission of uncompressed protected content over an electrical
connection used for displays (i.e. DVI-D);
    - CPRM (Copy Protection for Recordable Media) for secure storage of
compressed content (i.e. writing an authorized copy of a program onto a
hard drive or DVD); and
    - D-VHS for secure storage of uncompressed protected content (i.e.
writing an authorized copy of a program onto a hard drive or tape).

So, rather than saying "DTCP", the cable company is using the more
generic name "5C" to refer to the fact that the content is protected
from thieves like we MythTV users.

The DTLA (Digital Transmission Licensing Adminstrator -
http://www.dtcp.com/ ) is responsible for licensing DTCP and ensuring
appropriate usage (basically, making sure that companies do not add
back-doors or other security holes/weaknesses to the system).
Similarly, the Intel subsidiary, Digital Content Protection, LLC (
http://www.digital-cp.com/home ), is responsible for licensing and
overseeing HDCP.  I'm sure there exist licensing authorities for CPRM
and D-VHS, too, but I don't know them off the top of my head...

None of these DRM technologies were designed for use with the broadcast
flag, although the broadcast flag was expected to adopt them.  That's
why--even though the broadcast flag has been delayed--we still see 5C
technologies in play.

Mike