[mythtv-users] PVR-350 +Comcast

Art Fore art.fore at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 07:26:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 23:07 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Art Fore wrote:
>

> > What do you mean figure it out, all I am doing is getting more
> > confused.
> > Am not using the svideo or composite output. I am using the monitor
> > and
> > I thought mythv was using the mpeg output. If I record the output to a
> > file using cat /dev/video0 and view it with Kaffeine, it also is very
> > dark, so it must be from the PVR-350. I can play a DVD with
> > Kaffeine and
> > it is fine, but wintv is unuseable as it is now.
> >
> Guess I misunderstood your problem.
>
> MythTV does in fact use the mpeg output of the PVR card, there is no
> "raw" output available in fact.
>
> MythTV has adjustments to control the parameters (brightness,
> contrast, saturation etc.) of the recorded file. Hit the "G" key
> while watching TV. I don't think you'll see the changes on-screen, it
> only affects the resulting .nuv file. "F" brings up adjustments for
> playback picture parameters, as distinct from the recording parameters.
>
> I've never had to adjust these parameters, before you do you might
> check to be sure the problem exists on every channel, if it's just on
> one channel it's likely the source.

I done a rmmod ivtv and then a modprobe ivtv. Dmesg showed it didnt
initialize. I rebooted, then tried again, it worked. Went back into
mythby and the video was an order of magnitude better. Brightness,
contrast, and color were all good.

Also found that I can right-click on /dev/video0 in Konqueror and open
with Mplayer. Works fantastic just for viewing. Still have to
use ./ptune-ui.pl to set the channels though.

At last getting there slowly.

New question, How can I change the mythtv window to not cover the full
screen? Screen is 1024X768 but would like it not to take the whole
thing.

Also, how can I set the aspect ratio from a 2 (4:3) to 3(16:9) without
having to use ivtvctrl -c aspect=3 all of the time?

Art