[mythtv-users] Questions before my LUG's mythtv buildout

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 6 01:17:01 UTC 2006

On 02/05/06 14:48, Peter A. Daly wrote:

> >The only reason I would ever use a PVR-350 for TV out is if I had a
> >backend/frontend combo that didn't have enough slots...
>
> Am I incorrect in thinking that if you have a slow CPU, it makes sense
> to use a PVR-350's video out to take advantage of hardware decoding
> chip the pvr-350 provides?

Sure, where slow CPU means <800MHz (and possibly much less than like in
the 400MHz range), which I would never use for a Myth frontend when I
can get an AMD Sempron 2000+ (or better) for cheap.  A CPU that has
trouble /de/coding SDTV-sized video would make for a crippled MythTV
frontend (not useful for MythVideo, MythDVD, MythGame, and MythMusic
visualizations).

I would use the 800MHz or less CPU for something else (like a router--as
a matter of fact, that's what I'm doing with my AMD K6-2/380MHz).

Mike