[mythtv-users] MythTV and Satellite

Cyber Source peter at cybersource.us
Mon Feb 6 14:26:43 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>   Can someone give me a clue as to how to understand MythTV using
>> Satellite as your tuning source? I have been using MythTV for years now
>> and have set it up multiple times for people, all using cable TV as the
>> tuning source, all OK. I however, don't really understand how to proceed
>> with it. I have already gone to zap2it.com and changed the lineup to use
>> the correct satellite and the changed the mythtv config accordingly, and
>> all the proper stations show in my menu, etc, that bit is all OK. I am
>> using this with an AverMedia M179 card with NO remote. I have a
>> connection off the satellite receiver that connects to the back of the
>> TV card (coax) and if the TV card is set for channel 3 (MythTV), I can
>> see whatever is selected by the satellite receiver on the TV card via
>> MythTV (change the channel on the satellite receiver, changes what's
>> being viewed by the TV card on channel 3). How does this work if I want
>> to record something? The only station that is viewable via MythTV is
>> channel 3 and this is what the satellite receiver is set to. If I change
>> the satellite receiver, I can change what is being viewed on Myth but
>> how does one record? Can someone please give some clues as to proceed?
>> Thanks in advanced, Peter (confused ;))
>>

> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.27

I saw that yesterday but it doesn't go into much detail. If I understand
this right, there would be a config setting in MythTV to use such a
device as the device to control, otherwise it would try and change the
channels of the TV card itself. Do you have a config such as this? Can
you elaborate? Thanks, Peter