[mythtv-users] MythTV and Satellite

Cyber Source peter at cybersource.us
Mon Feb 6 14:56:39 UTC 2006

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.27
>>>

>> I saw that yesterday but it doesn't go into much detail. If I
>> understand this right, there would be a config setting in MythTV
>> to use such a device as the device to control, otherwise it would
>> try and change the channels of the TV card itself. Do you have
>> a config such as this? Can you elaborate? Thanks, Peter
>>

> Peter,
>
> Just think of the tv tuner as a "dumb" mpeg-2 capture card, something
> like a VCR would be when put inline with a cable box.  The VCR has a
> tuner
> too, but you're just using the cable box.  This is the same concept,
> just
> feed the signal of the satellite receiver into the tv tuner/capture
> card.
> Then you need either a serial device or an IR blaster coupled with a
> channel changing program to tell the sat box what channel to change
> to.
>
> That is why firewire is so nice.  You send the channel change commands
>
> and capture video right over the wire.  No risk of having the sat box
> "miss" the ir commands from the ir blaster (which rarely happens, but
> is
> possible).
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks Paul,
  I get it now, that answers my question about channel 3 etc.. The
firewire option would need the satellite receiver to have this port and
be enabled, so I hope this is so. This particular person has another
satellite receiver for a second TV upstairs and it uses a wireless
connection for that, so if no firewire, I may have to do the IR Blaster
option. Thanks again, Peter