[mythtv-users] VMWare and MythTV

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 20:51:31 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Tim <news at timandnoelle.com> wrote:

> would it be possible to run mythtv through vmware?  if so, you could
> potentially be running mythtv on your windows box.  am i thinking about
> this
> right?  has anyone ever tried this?  anyway, vmware is offering their
> vmware
> server and player software free.
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
>
> i guess colinux is similar.
>
> http://www.colinux.org/

"would it be possible...", Well Yes, but probably No.  If there is a way to
allow the virtual machine running MythTV to gain access to the Capture Card,
then that's one high hurdle jumped.  It is quite doubtful that the VMware
team will ever write code to give control of resources such as a Capture
Card to the virtual machine.

But who knows?  I may be completely wrong.  Anyone else see it differently?

--
MM