[mythtv-users] Asus A7V8X-X and Hauppague 500 PVR compatablilty - just looking for a possible answer

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:17:34 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Stephen Kitchener <stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 06 Feb 2006 22:43, Jan Ophey wrote:
> > Stephen Kitchener schrieb:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > I have just returned my 3rd Hauppauge 500 MCE Card, they all had the same
> > > fault, one (The same tuner on each), not working at all.
> > >
> > > A thought has occurred, could it be that the motherboard is itself making
> > > the PVR card non-functional, ie the act of actually using the card in the
> > > mobo, kills one tuner, I guess that this is a really remote possibility
> > > but I thought that I would ask the question, especially if there are
> > > users on mythtv using the same motherboard/PVR card combination.
> >
> > I use 2 PVR350 on an ASUS A7V800 Mainboard with a Pentium4 Prescott
> > 3.2GHz CPU.
> > If I enable Hyperthreading in the BIOS the PVRs start to go bad after
> > about 3-5 minutes (even with Windows + latest Hauppauge-drivers)
> > Seems like DMA transfers are really weird on this board.
> >
> > I disabled Hyperthreading and the box now stays up for up to 3 weeks
> > with no problem at all.
> >
> > maybe you are running into a similar issue.
>
> I don't think so - the one channel is immediately dead and when I return it to
> the suppliers its still broken, so the breakage is permanent,
>
> steve.

I'm running a PVR-500 on an A7N8X-X without any problems.  Not sure if
that means much considering it uses nvidia nForce2 instead of Via
chipsets.  Have you tried disabling in BIOS all ports and onboard
devices, unplugging all cards, only leaving enabled the ones you'd
need to test the board?

-Jerry