[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Tue Feb 7 01:41:33 UTC 2006

I setup QAM from start to finish friday night, here is what I found:

- Getting an accurate/complete channels.conf file is a pain.  I wrote a script
that would verify if a channel was encrypted or not but after checking ~60
channels I would get an odd malloc failure.  I had to reboot my machine 5 times
to get through my 337 channels.

Once I finished that it was a matter of tuning into each of the 40 unencrypted
channels and try to figure out what show I was watching.  There has got to be a
better way :)

- I used Bolek's patch on svn 8875 and it worked fairly well for me.  I didn't
have to manually enter freqence #s, IDs, etc.  The only problem I see is when I
import channels.conf it skips one entry.  My cable provider has two entries for
WRALDT2, don't ask me why they assign the same callsign to two different
channels.

Daniel