[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Feb 7 03:59:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 21:40 -0500, Dylan R. Semler wrote:
> Daniel Walton wrote:
>
> >I setup QAM from start to finish friday night, here is what I found:
> >
> >- Getting an accurate/complete channels.conf file is a pain.  I wrote a script
> >that would verify if a channel was encrypted or not but after checking ~60
> >channels I would get an odd malloc failure.  I had to reboot my machine 5 times
> >to get through my 337 channels.
> >

> Did you try creating your channels.conf with the script I attached last
> week?  I'd like to see if it has worked for anyone else.

I tried, but it kept failing on all of the channels.  I ended up
modifying it to work for me.  Instead of running 'time' on mplayer, I
grepped mplayer's output for "Starting playback".  I got better results,
but I still ended up with a bunch of music channels.  (Incidentally,
what was failing in the original was mplayer.  The line:

'echo | time -o time.dat mplayer $tempdir/test.mpg >& /dev/null'

was exiting too quickly.  Even when trying it on 2 different systems...
The output from time.dat was:

0.01user 0.01system 0:01.76elapsed 1%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
0maxresident)k

Very strange...
	-I