[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Tue Feb 7 04:12:56 UTC 2006

Ian Forde wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 21:40 -0500, Dylan R. Semler wrote:
>

>>Daniel Walton wrote:
>>

>>>I setup QAM from start to finish friday night, here is what I found:
>>>
>>>- Getting an accurate/complete channels.conf file is a pain.  I wrote a script
>>>that would verify if a channel was encrypted or not but after checking ~60
>>>channels I would get an odd malloc failure.  I had to reboot my machine 5 times
>>>to get through my 337 channels.
>>>

>>Did you try creating your channels.conf with the script I attached last
>>week?  I'd like to see if it has worked for anyone else.
>>

>I tried, but it kept failing on all of the channels.  I ended up
>modifying it to work for me.  Instead of running 'time' on mplayer, I
>grepped mplayer's output for "Starting playback".  I got better results,
>but I still ended up with a bunch of music channels.  (Incidentally,
>what was failing in the original was mplayer.  The line:
>
>'echo | time -o time.dat mplayer $tempdir/test.mpg >& /dev/null'
>
>was exiting too quickly.  Even when trying it on 2 different systems...
>The output from time.dat was:
>
>0.01user 0.01system 0:01.76elapsed 1%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
>0maxresident)k
>0inputs+0outputs (63major+1063minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>
>Very strange...
>	-I

It's meant to end quickly for encrypted channels (cause mplayer can't
play them).  Did you try it specifically on a non-encrypted channel and
it still ended too quickly?  It's not too important because using grep
will do the job, but like you said, it won't get rid of the music
channels.  In theory using time will be able to get rid of the music
channels too.

Dylan