[mythtv-users] A few 0.19 and RAM questions

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Tue Feb 7 14:00:56 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Phill Wiggin wrote:
>
>>I doubt linux itself is the culprit.
>>

>To learn why examples of top output from various systems are meaningless
>for determining whether Linux uses swap or not:
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+swappiness
>
>Mike

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it a bit more, but based on

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management

"To see a better estimation of how much memory is really free for
applications to use, run the command free -m"

Laptop:
Mem:          1010        282        728          0         10        119
-/+ buffers/cache:        152        857
Swap:          250          0        250

PVR backend:
Mem:           487        463         23          0         75        156
-/+ buffers/cache:        231        256
Swap:          251          0        250

Fileserver:
Mem:           122        103         19          0         30         43
-/+ buffers/cache:         29         93
Swap:          244          0        244

Webserver:
Mem:           218        198         19          0          5         64
-/+ buffers/cache:        129         89
Swap:          494         88        405

(My pvr frontend is shut off atm, as the lamp in my HD tv blew out last
night :( )

But, the results from top and free both show similar results in the
amount of swap used, so I still doubt that Linux naturally uses much
swap space by itself.

I could easily be wrong, and would appreciate any direct references
anyone would care to give. (A google search is an awful lot to parse
when you don't know precisely what you're looking for.)

--Phill W.