[mythtv-users] FYI: DVR Dish network fees

Robert Denier rdenier at finiteinfinity.org
Tue Feb 7 15:56:28 UTC 2006

I have no idea about TIVO or any direct tv based systems, but Dish just raised
their PVR fees a dollar to $5.98.

At any rate if four myth boxes were used instead that would save $23.92 a
month.  In a year that would save $287.04.

While this would still be rather difficult to break even by the time you buy
myth hardware, it is noteable.  You might save a little more if you only
needed say 3 receivers rather than 4 and such.

Of course Myth has various other benefits, which people on this list probably
don't need repeated.  Had I to start over, I might have considered a Directv
based Myth system instead for cleaner channel changes via a serial port, but
overall the Myth/Dish system seems to be doing the job reasonably well with
the serial ir blaster.

-Robert