[mythtv-users] launch mythtv-setup from console script question

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 13:19:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am writing a console mode script to install and
configure MythTV. I am having a problem launching
mythtv-setup, which requires X to run, from the
console mode.

I have tried several variation of the following with
no luck:

startx &
xhost +
su mythtv mythtv-setup
mythbackend & mythfilldatabase
su mythtv mythfrontend
xhost -
exit

I have even tried replacing the line

su mythtv mythtv-setup

with

su mythtv startx mythtv-setup

but with no luck. There were single quotes around the
mythtv-setup and startx mythtv-setup.

Of course, running the above script from an xterm
within X works fine since X is already running and in
proper context.

What Id like to do is stay in console mode entirely
and only launch X to run mythtv-setup and mythfrontend
as needed and then return to console mode when
complete.

I have tried searching for command line option for
mythtv-setup like -display or something like that but
mythtv-setup --help or -h does not suggest anything.

I am running MythTV 0.18-1 from the debian packages.
The old MythTV wiki suggests that mythtv-setup has
command line options but I have not found any.

Help please! Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Andrew Lynch