[mythtv-users] x86_64 and forcedeth

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:19:52 UTC 2006

On 2/8/06, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 23:14 -0500, Michael Haan wrote:
> > Ok, and I'm hoping to have similar success if I can move to that.  My
> > problem is that I can't seem to find a way to install FC4 x86_64, and
> > then get networking working so I can upgrade everything over the net.
>
> So walk us through the steps...
> 1. Insert FC4 x86_64 CD #1
> 2. Boot CD
> 3. Go through the installation
>
> Does the installation complete?  If so, then when you login at the end,
> do 'lsmod' and display the output here.  If you do 'ifconfig -a' does it
> list an eth0 device?  What about if you do a 'modprobe forcedeth'
> followed by another 'ifconfig -a' after that?  Details, details.  We
> need details!
>
>         -I

You got it:

1) Yes the installation completes just fine.
2) I have the machine set to use a static IP address: ip=192.168.2.110, nm=
255.255.255.0, gw=192.168.2.1, dns=192.168.2.1
3) I originally was using the default forcedeth driver as confirmed by both
network config and lsmod
4) When the machine booted, I would watch as eth0 was successfully
activated, but synchronizing with ntp failed
5) Opening a shell, ifconfig showed eth0 to be active and configured with my
static address, but both ping www.google.com and ping
192.168.2.1immediately result in "Network unreachable" and and no
discernable actual
network activity.
6) So, I install the latest nvnet driver and change modprobe.conf to use
that (and not use forcedeth) - reboot and confirm that nvnet is in use and
not forcedeth.
7) Same exact thing happens.

The network config is unchanged from a configuration that worked before
(powerline down to a hub acting as a crossover into my router).

Does that help?  As I said before FC4 x86 worked, and FC5 candidates worked,
but FC4 x86_64  just doesn't want to.