[mythtv-users] FYI: DVR Dish network fees

Robert Denier rdenier at finiteinfinity.org
Wed Feb 8 23:11:40 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 10:23 am, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Robert Denier <rdenier at finiteinfinity.org> wrote:

> can a single 322 output two shows at the same time?

I noticed that this question was basically answered in an older list post
after I posted my response yesterday.  The answer is yes you
can view two shows from a 322, and thus you can record two shows, although one
would have to use a composite video input.

The problem is you apparently can't put both of the tuners on separate IR
remote control channels, and thus have no ready way to control the second one
with myth tv.  Basically, if you can get a 322 for the same price, you can
always use it in a separate room or something via the RF remote.

An obvious, yet primitive way to control the RF portion of the receiver would
be something like the following:

1) Assume you can control 4 logic states on a parellel port.  I don't know how
doable that is.

2) If you can control 4 logic states, you can use a decoder to control 16
invidual switches or relays.

3) Thus the keys 0-9 and select on an RF remote could be controlled indirectly
with something along these lines.  If you can control the logic from software
then all you need is something to play back a sequence and you have it.

There is probably a better way, of course, but it would likely take some work
to figure out.  Of course, if anyone finds a way to make it work out, I'd be
curious as to how it was done.

In short, it appears the easiest way is to use single tuner receivers and
perhaps one dual tuner for a spare bedroom or something.

-Robert