[mythtv-users] Zap2it outage?

chris@cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 9 21:03:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:51:25AM -0800, Anthony Floyd wrote:
> Either the problem is my ISP (Shaw, in Vancouver) blocking access or
> Zap2It blocking access.

I'm on Shaw in Burnaby and haven't had any problems.  Someone on the
VanLUG list mentioned that Shaw is renumbering their subnets again,
and when I checked mine I noticed that it had changed.  Usually
there's some overlap where both the old and new gateways are
available, but this time they seem to be doing a clean cut-over as
they finish each area.  If you're like me and use a Linksys (or
equivalent) router between your Linux box and the cable connection
then it will pick up the new IP address and gateway OK, but the DNS
server information in your Linux box may not be up to date unless you
have a cron job that screen-scrapes the router's web interface.  It's
always a good idea to configure your dns proxy with a few alternate
DNS servers outside of your ISP just in case.

The only other thing to consider is the time of day of your zap2it
requests.  If you're still trying to get your schedule in the middle
of the night then it's possible your connection is being dropped
because there are too many simultaneous requests being processed.  I
did as zap2it requested and changed my system so it would stop asking
at night.  I've never had any connections refused and the downloads
seem to happen much faster.

carrying the cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)