[mythtv-users] XvMC Problem and Question

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 20:11:02 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2006, at 12:50 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>> Michael Chmilar wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Gentoo x86_64 on an Athlon-64, latest NVidia 81xx driver,
>>> opengl vsync disabled, Standard XvMC selected in mythfrontend, kernel
>>> deinterlacing, NVidia fx5200 card.
>>>
>>> Playback is smooth. No stuttering when the OSD comes up, but there is
>>> an audio drop-out for a moment when the OSD appears, and again when
>>> it disappears.
>>>

>> Interesting... my audio is perfectly fine, it's just the video that
>> jumps around until the OSD is gone. And this only happens in "cpu
>> intensive" HD content.
>>
>>> I was getting some stuttering until I checked "enable realtime thread
>>> priority" and made mythfrontend suid.
>>>

>> I have "Enable realtime priority threads" checked.
>>
>> How do you do run mythfrontend suid. I will search for this in the
>> archives.
>>

> chmod +s /usr/bin/mythfrontend  (as root)

Thanks.
I just tried it. And, when FF the video just freezes and I get the warnings:
"prebuffering pause"
over and over. Had to Ctrl-C out of mythfrontend

I also get the warning (when going to HD content):
"realtime priority would require SUID as root"

After I:

chmod -s /usr/bin/mythfrontend

Then, no problem (except of course, the original problem of frames that jump around when when the OSD is present. BTW, I tried this on two programs Lost and Dancing with the Stars (both ABC, SF Bayarea)  - both had stuttering audio with the frames. So, I guess I was wrong about saying that the problem was only video)

brad