[mythtv-users] Their Baaaacccckkk!

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:07:26 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

>     from Arstechnica:
>

>     *HBO wants its programming to be off-limits for DVRs*
>
> 2/9/2006 2:03:29 PM, by Eric Bangeman <mailto:eric at arstechnica.com>
>
> Although the courts shot down the FCC's attempt to enforce the broadcast
> flag, the networks are moving full steam ahead on getting the flag
> written into law one way or another. So far, one bill has been
> introduced <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051218-5797.html>
> that would plug the so-called "analog hole," and there have been a
> number of Congressional hearings
> <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/broadcast-flag.ars> on piracy
> and copyright. No matter what the venue, the mantra of the media
> industry has been the same: restrictions on what consumers can do with
> their broadcasts are absolutely necessary in order to stop piracy and
> keep the networks in business.
>
> Right.
>
> HBO has joined the fray with a recent FCC filing
> <
> http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-02/hbo-petitions-fcc-to-prevent-dvr-recording/
> >
> in which it argues that its programming—and all "Subscription Video On
> Demand" services—should fall into the category of "Copy Never." In a
> broadcast-flagged world, that translate into consumers not being able to
> record content broadcast by HBO. No TiVo, no VCR, no video capturing on
> your PC, /no nada/.

I don't get HBO and now I guess I'll never have to worry about getting it in
the future.

If they ever get their $#%#$% broadcast flag, I wonder how long it will be
before we hear them crying about how sales of their DVDs are falling.

How hard it for them to realize that there are literally MILLIONS of people
time shifting their shows (completely legally) who also later buy DVD sets.

I know if I couldn't watch shows whenever I want, I would just quit watching
them.  I know the networks really believe that I will schedule my life
around when their shows are on, but they are quite wrong.