[mythtv-users] Their Baaaacccckkk!

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Feb 10 21:24:38 UTC 2006

The problem with the broadcast flag and all other DRM measures is that
it is, quite simply, bad security. Those of us who do security for a
living (computer security in the case of a lot of us on this list) know
that the best security measures are those that cause a minimum amount of
inconvenience to legitimate users while creating the greatest barriers
to unauthorized users. DRM is exactly the opposite. The people who make
a lot of money selling pirated copies of movies, TV shows, and software,
will be able to find ways around DRM. DRM will interfere mostly with
legitimate users trying to make fair use of content they have legally
paid for. DRM is just plain bad security. It also costs them sales. I
would never buy a song from the Apple music store, for instance, because
they give it to me in a way that I can't use it in my home music system.
It's worthless to me, so they have lost a lot of sales.

I know I am preaching to the choir with this audience, but the reason I
say this is that this is a better argument to make with people who are
not already convinced, than the usual ones I hear about evil greedy
money-grubbing corporations, information wants to be free, and so forth.
You aren't going to convince anyone (including your congresscritter)
with that kind of argument. Much better to simply point out that these
measures won't stop the real crooks but will be a pain for the
legitimate consumer.

--Greg